The smell of weed can be a dead giveaway, whether you’re smoking it or just storing it. While some people might not mind the scent, others might find it offensive or illegal. Whatever your reason for wanting to hide that weed smell, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll share some tips and tricks for how to get rid of weed smell.
Why Does Weed Smell?
The distinct smell of weed is caused by compounds called terpenes, which are found in the plant’s essential oils. These terpenes are volatile, meaning they can evaporate quickly and easily. Depending on the strain of weed, the terpenes can produce a wide range of aromas, from sweet and floral to skunky and pungent.
Terpenes are not unique to cannabis; they are found in many plants and are responsible for the scents of fruits, flowers, and herbs. There are over 100 different terpenes found in cannabis, and each strain can have a unique combination of them. This is why some strains of weed have a more fruity or floral aroma, while others have a more musky or earthy scent. Some of the most dominant terpenes in cannabis are limonene, pinene, and myrcene.
When weed is smoked, the heat causes the terpenes to vaporize, creating an even stronger scent. This is why smoking weed can leave a strong odor that can linger in the air and on clothes and hair. Sometimes, even weed stems have a long lasting weed smell. This is partly why they are perfect for infusing into weed tea!
Interestingly, terpenes not only contribute to the weed smell but may also affect its effects. Some research suggests that certain terpenes may have therapeutic properties and can interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system to enhance or alter the effects of THC and other cannabinoids found in cannabis.
Overall, the smell of weed is a result of its complex chemical makeup, and while some may find it enjoyable, others may find it unpleasant or offensive. Understanding why weed smells the way it does can help in finding ways to hide or eliminate the odor.
How Long Does Weed Smell Linger?
After smoking weed, it’s natural to wonder how long the smell will linger. The answer to this question can depend on a few different factors.
First, the method of consumption can play a role in how long the smell lasts. Smoking weed typically produces a stronger smell than other methods like edibles or vaporizing. This is because smoking releases more odor molecules into the air. The amount of weed consumed and the potency of the strain can also affect how long the smell lasts. A larger amount of more potent weed is likely to produce a stronger smell that will linger for a longer period of time.
The environment in which you smoke can also impact how long the weed smell lasts. Smoking indoors or in a confined space will trap the odor molecules in the air, making it harder for the smell to dissipate. Smoking outdoors or in a well-ventilated area will allow the odor molecules to disperse more quickly.
In general, the smell of weed can last anywhere from a few hours to several days, depending on these factors. Using odor eliminators, airing out the space, and using proper storage methods can all help to reduce the amount of time the smell lingers.
It’s also important to consider the potential legal and social implications of the smell of weed. Even if the smell is not illegal where you live, it can still be considered a nuisance to those around you. Be respectful of others and try to minimize the smell as much as possible.
Tips for How to Get Rid of Weed Smell
When you need to know how to get rid of weed smell, here are some tips and tricks you can try:
- Use an air purifier: An air purifier can help to remove the smell of weed from the air. Look for a purifier with a HEPA filter, which can capture tiny particles and eliminate odors.
- Open windows and use fans: Opening windows and using fans can help to circulate the air and disperse the smell of weed. If possible, smoke near an open window or use a fan to blow the smoke outside.
- Use scented candles or incense: Burning scented candles or incense can help to mask the smell of weed. Look for candles or incense with strong, pleasant scents like lavender, citrus, or peppermint.
- Store your weed properly: Properly storing your weed can help to reduce its odor. Keep your weed in an airtight container, such as a mason jar, to prevent the smell from escaping.
- Try a smoke filter: Smoke filters, like activated carbon filters, can help to remove the smell of weed from the smoke before it enters the air. Look for smoke filters designed specifically for weed smoking.
- Use a sploof: A sploof is a device that filters smoke as you exhale. To make a sploof, simply fill a toilet paper tube with dryer sheets and exhale the smoke through the tube.
- Take a walk: If you need to smoke weed and don’t want the smell to linger, consider taking a walk outside. The fresh air can help to dissipate the smell quickly.
By using these tips, you can reduce the weed smell and avoid drawing unwanted attention. It’s important to remember, however, that while these methods can help to hide the smell, they may not completely eliminate it. Be mindful of others around you and smoke responsibly.
DIY Odor Eliminators
If you don’t want to rely on store-bought air fresheners, you can make your own DIY odor eliminators at home. Here are some recipes to try:
- Vinegar: Vinegar is a natural deodorizer and can help to eliminate weed smell. Fill a bowl with vinegar and leave it in the room where you smoked, or use a spray bottle to apply vinegar to surfaces that may have absorbed the smell.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is another natural deodorizer that can help to eliminate the smell of weed. Place an open box of baking soda in the room where you smoked, or sprinkle baking soda on carpets or upholstery before vacuuming.
- Essential oils: Essential oils can be used to mask weed smell and leave a pleasant aroma. Add a few drops of essential oil to a diffuser, or mix with water in a spray bottle and mist around the room.
- Charcoal: Activated charcoal can absorb odors and help to eliminate the smell of weed. Place a small bag of activated charcoal in the room where you smoked, or use a charcoal air purifier to help remove the smell from the air.
- Citrus peels: Citrus peels, such as those from oranges or lemons, can help to mask the smell of weed with a fresh, clean scent. Place citrus peels in a bowl or on a plate in the room where you smoked, or use a citrus-scented cleaner to wipe down surfaces.
By using these DIY odor eliminators, you can do a little trial and error to figure out how to get rid of weed smell and keep your space smelling fresh and clean. Keep in mind that these methods may not completely eliminate the smell, but they can be effective in reducing it.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ve got weed smell questions, we’ve got answers.
Does smoking weed outside help hide the smell?
Yes, smoking outside can help reduce the smell of weed. However, keep in mind that the smell can still linger on your clothes and hair.
Does using a smoke filter really work?
Yes, a smoke filter can help reduce the amount of smoke and odor that escapes when you smoke weed. However, it’s not 100% effective and may not completely eliminate the smell.
How To Get Rid of Weed Smell in my car?
To get rid of the smell of weed in your car, you can try using an air freshener or odor eliminator, wiping down surfaces with a mixture of vinegar and water, or placing activated charcoal bags in the car. It’s also important to avoid smoking in the car in the first place, as the smell can be difficult to completely remove.
Do air purifiers really work for hiding the smell of weed?
Yes, air purifiers can be effective in removing smoke and odors from the air. Look for an air purifier with a HEPA filter, which can capture tiny particles like smoke and help to improve air quality in your home.
Can my clothes smell like weed even if I haven’t smoked recently?
Yes, clothes can absorb the smell of weed even if you haven’t smoked recently. If you have weed stored in your room or home, the smell can transfer onto your clothes and linger for a long time. To prevent this, store your weed in airtight containers and keep your smoking area clean.
What is the best way to store weed to prevent smell?
The best way to store weed to prevent smell is in an airtight container, such as a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Avoid using plastic bags, as they can allow the smell to escape. Additionally, store your weed in a cool, dark place to help preserve its freshness and potency.
One Final Toke
The smell of weed can be a concern for many people, whether due to legal issues, social norms, or personal preferences. Fortunately, there are several ways to hide or eliminate that pesky weed smell.
Yet, on the flip side, if you happen to love the smell of weed, we recommend some terpene air fresheners so you can keep that fresh scent around whenever you like. Head on over to Old Pal Provisions and grab a Myrcene, Pinene, or Limonene air freshener.